07/11/2011

Beer Review #5: Red Horse

Ladies and gentlemen, hats off to the good people at Brewery Creek liquor store on Main.

After months of trawling the streets of London in search of the national beer of the Philippines here I find it, lurking in an unassuming Vancouver liquor store. In my twisted and disturbing world this is a bit like turning up an autographed copy of the bible.

Presumably Filipinos are game for getting lashed because it's a big bastard of a can - 500ml. It's scant on artwork but I feel damn manly holding it. It's coated in Testosterone Red. There are proud mustang heads rearing at me. There's not much writing (real beers don't need words!) but what it has is bold and rugged. If it was possible for a font to have a beard, this would probably have a waist length monstrosity with bits of bear meat stuck in it.

Its got its foreign credentials in order as well. There's the obligatory 'export only' sticker, and it's even got that ribbed bit at the top of the can which I've seen on foreign cans of coke you can pick up in dodgy newsagents in Peckham. This stuff might be made by San Miguel but it looks exotic enough to get me excited.

The marketing blurb promises a "full flavoured taste and extra satisfying strength". They are presumably getting at the fact that this stuff is 8% ABV. We're getting dangerously close to hobo-juice territory here. There are a few Belgian craft beers I've come across that can get away with this kind of strength without making a brew that tastes like angry petrol but Red Horse has set itself up for a challenge by brewing up something this strong.

On the pour it looks ok. Pale colour, clear, well carbonated and a clean looking head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Unfortunately, that's where the fun stops. The smell has some grains lurking about in there somewhere but mostly I can smell booze - lots and lots of booze. I'm not opposed to a beer smelling like it has alcohol in it, but it would be nice if it smelt of something else.

I'm not mad keen on tasting it but I soldier on all the same.

Apparently, contrary to popular belief, he who dares does not always win.

It's boozy and harsh which is what I was expecting, but there's something else in there too. Lurking around as an aftertaste is something like soapy vomit. It's not overpowering - I don't feel compelled to retch all over my keyboard - but it's still there hanging around like a fearsome fart on a dancefloor ruining an otherwise tolerable experience.

Red Horse hasn't amazed me. Well chuffed at finding it - I can cross the Philippines off the list for my Beers Around the World Challenge - but I'll not be rushing out to stock up the fridge with it. I guess the 8% ABV content is a plus if you're trying to get ready for a night out sharpish, but if that's your aim there are better beers that will do the same job. Other than that, it's not got much to offer.

Verdict 3/10

2 comments:

  1. I find Red Horse to be a VERY pleasant alternative to all the dilitante (sp!) micro brewery offerings on the market today...I find most breweries these days are big on price but lacking in flavor...Red Horse delivers great taste (for me) at a great value...hey...I've only been sampling beer for 46 years...I guess I don't know what pleases my taste buds...Red Horse Rules!!!

    Cheers!!! Tyrone Powerchord...

    ...email...

    rcjohnston78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Horse is chocolate to me. I f#@king love it.

    ReplyDelete