30/10/2011

Beer review #3: Rocky Mountain Pilsner

Picked this one up for a bargain at Spirit of Home Liquor store on Granville street. As their 'beer of the month' it was down to $10 for six - damn good value for an independent store. Always enthusiastic about getting trashed for the bare minimum spend, I gave it a go.

This offering comes to us from the good people at Russell Breweries. The can doesn't bring to mind delicious drinky-beer so much as some kind of extra strength cleaning product - too much silver and minty-fresh green slapped on there for my liking. I think they're going for 'virgin mountain snow' but I'm getting 'keeps surfaces spotless and germ free'.

Still, OmniKlean style can aside, what's the beer like? The label promises "Fresh, Crisp, Clean" - suddenly I'm thinking of laundry detergents. Have I discovered the first beer which will treat your woolens delicately without skimping on cleaning power?

On the pour it's definitely a pilsner; pale, clear, nice and fizzy. Not much of a head and what there is doesn't hang around for long. Not too much of a smell to it either.

Taste? I'm pleasantly surprised! A little watered down but served cold (this one had been in the freezer for ten minutes) it's refreshing, light, and doesn't have the dodgy aftertaste you're apt to find in a cheaper brew.

I probably won't be rushing back for more of these once the offer is over but even though they only weigh in at 5% ABV I'm still prepared to make this my session beer for the month and give Cariboos genuine draft a rest.

Verdict: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment